I’d like to say we spent the entire trip sunning ourselves on a sandy beach, but sun was a scarce commodity. Big Papa would remind me: Well, we are staying within a few miles of the rainiest spot on earth.
But the ocean was–right there–as were turtles, so I am fondly reminiscing. Plus, Big Papa got me a tropical bouquet for Valentine’s Day this year with a few of these:
And these…so I’ve been missing Kauai.
This was Little Bird’s first trip to the tropics. For a 2-1/2 year old, island life is grand. Here are 8 of her favorite things to do on the island of Kauai, rain or shine.
1. Ride the mini-carousel in Hanalei. We did this several times during a downpour. Bring lots of quarters.
2. Eat shave ice. It’s extravagant, colorful and yummy. This monster cup is from Ono Ono in Kapa’a.
3. Go to the beach. Anini Beach is awesome for Keiki–little ones. And there are turtles.
4. Chase chickens. They are everywhere, so why not?
5. Hop aboard the Kauai Plantation Railway. Beautiful farmland, a train stop to check out goats and pigs. Samples tasty rum back at the depot. Something for all ages.
6. Kanoodle with the babysitter. First time we’ve ever had someone sit for Little Bird on vacation. Sharon was the bomb. Arrived with a suitcase full of fun. Ardea loved her. Best $ Mama and Dada spent!
7. Luxuriate in the outdoor shower. This was Mama and Little Bird’s special together time every day. We had a blast.
8. Which brings us to the BEST thing of all to do on Kauai. Run NAKED as much as possible. Who cares about free-range chickens? Free-range kids are where it’s at.
Rain or shine, run wild, run free. Be a kid on Kauai.
Take the road less traveled, Beth